The Tús initiative was initiated in 2011 and is a community work placement scheme providing short-term working opportunities for unemployed people while at the same time carrying out a broad range of services of benefit to the community and in a variety of community settings.
Currently, 100 individuals participate in the TúsScheme in Mayo North East; supported by 5 Supervisors. Participants are selected at random by the Department of Social Protection – there is no self selection or application process.
To be eligible to participate in the Tús Scheme Applicants must be:
- Continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and “signing” on a full-time basis, and
- In receipt of a Jobseekers Payment from the Department of Social Protection for at least 12 months (including Jobseekers Benefit), and
- In receipt of Jobseekers Allowance at time of application.
The types of project eligible for the scheme may include:
- Energy conservation work in community buildings
- Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
- Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and sporting spaces
- Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
- Community administration and community event management
- Coaching for sporting activities
- Repair of equipment for the Third World – for example, farm tools, bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment.